Thursday, January 27, 2022

The Impact of Food on Childhood Memories

 


Little Jack Pearson eating lunch with his Mom

The taste, smell and texture of food can be extraordinarily evocative, bringing back memories not just of eating the food itself, but also of its place and setting. Food is an effective trigger of deeper memories of feelings and emotions, and internal states of mind and body. We all have food memories, some good and some bad. Technically, smell is the sense most closely tied to memory, but the sense of taste is certainly a close second. When you combine smell and taste, it is quite literally what food memories are made of.

The last scene of the January 25th episode of This is Us (Don't Let Me Keep You),
struck a particular chord with me. This series knows how to hit all the emotional spots. (For me, it was The Cabin episode that left me literally sobbing at the last scene). Earlier this week, we saw Jack Pearson struggling in the aftermath of his mother's death, as he realized how little he actually knew about her. The episode culminated in an emotional scene where Jack broke down after fixing hot dogs and tomato soup for his young children- just like his mother had for him after an afternoon of playing in the snow. Even if it was only cut up fried hot dogs and tomato soup (apparently this was a thing moms made for their children back in the day), this simple meal eaten with his mother had more of a strong and deep meaning to Jack than he had realized. The whole episode was rather emotional, but I didn't shed one tear until Jack made hot dogs and tomato soup for his kids that I completely lost it.

My strongest and fondest memories are in my grandparents' kitchens where their love overflowed. I was always welcome in their kitchens and they proudly shared their love of simple, yet delicious food with me. I remember one time in the fall of 1989, when I was first married, I made my grandmother's apple cake. I left the kitchen while the cake was baking to attend to my baby, and when I came back to the kitchen, I stopped dead in my tracks. The aroma from the cake baking in the oven immediately transported me back to my grandmother's kitchen. What a sweet memory that was. Here is the apple cake recipe (I'm making it tomorrow!), one that will always bring me comfort and remain near and dear to my heart because of the memories it evokes. Bonus: it is one pan easy and really good too! 

         
 Grandma's Apple Cake 

2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
3 c peeled and roughly chopped apples
1 T vanilla
1/2 c chopped walnuts, optional

Mix all together in large bowl (batter will be thick). Bake in greased 8 inch square baking dish at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool and dust with confectioners; sugar.



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment