Thursday, May 17, 2012

It Really IS All About the Food

Is our obsession with really great food all it's cracked up to be?  Someone said to me recently, "Marcia, it's NOT all about the food!" Well, I've been pondering the statement for a while since then.  I'd bet the 'foodie' in you disagrees with the statement as much as I do, otherwise you wouldn't be reading my blog :)

Think about this for a moment: What is the common denominator of any celebration, event, public, private gathering, etc.? Yes, it's the FOOD... and the one thing that will be remembered after it's over.  How many times have you heard someone say, "... the wedding, conference, reunion, new restaurant, Thanksgiving at my in-laws", etc. where the most common comment was "...and the food was terrible."  As someone who plans a myriad of events, both in my professional and personal life, the food is (almost) always the centerpiece, and where I choose to spend the money- and it's paid off in spades.  Every time.  Any celebration, event, to make or create an impression, or even 'just because', it's the food.  Food is what people will remember.

For all you non-foodies, consider this: why are most restaurants at dinnertime filled in the midst of the economic downturn?  Ok, you would argue, that some don't like/know how/have time to cook.  Beware: it's twice as expensive and usually not as good as what you could create at  home.  Well, at least that's what my husband says.  Also, consider the fact that Williams Sonoma, Stonewall Kitchen and the like have been offering cooking classes on top of what would be over the top for the average cook.... And why has there been an insurgence of food/cooking shows on tv?  Back in the day, it was Julia Child, then Martha Stewart paved the way for all the others.  Now, one has to struggle just to keep up with the variety of options.  All I can say is, "Thank Heaven for FoodNetwork.com!" Seems that everyone and their sister has.... hmmmm.  great idea!

So, after giving this much thought, I've determined that yes, it really IS about the food.  I'm curious... what do you think?

P.S. the person who made the original statement has since retracted it.

1 comment:

  1. It is most definitely about the food! I agree. I suggest taking this "classic" off the shelf and reading "Like Water for Chocolate". It will describe how food can make or break a party mood, make us love, make us hate....

    ReplyDelete